DIRSI Internship Program for Young Researchers – Second Call
The Regional Dialogue on Information Society -DIRSI- invites applications from young researchers (up to 35 years old) to participate in its internship program in one of the following research centers:
- Instituto de Estudios Peruanos – Lima, Perú.
- Universidad de San Andrés – Buenos Aires, Argentina.
- Centro de Investigación y Desarrollo Económico – Telecom CIDE – Ciudad de México, México
The internships seek to strengthen research capacity in relevant areas of the Information Society field through south-south collaboration. Thus, the selected candidates shall be nationals of any country and region in the south.
Applicants are expected to:
- Conduct high quality research in their own projects within DIRSI's topics of interest and under the guidance of a senior DIRSI researcher (mentor).
- Support the mentor in research activities related to DIRSI's projects as required.
- Demonstrate confidence and initiative in his/her work.
- Agree to a minimum internship length of six months (maximum 12 months).
The ideal candidate:
- Has a strong academic record in the Social and Economic Sciences.*
- Is able to collect, synthesize and present facts clearly.
- Is able to read and write fluently in English and Spanish.
- Priority will be given to candidates that apply for internships in countries in which they are not residents.
*The academic qualifications and / or experience in one of the following fields will be an advantage: industry ICT /telecommunications, economics, law or public policy.
The application must include:
- A formal letter signed by the applicant explaining the reasons why he/she should be granted the internship.
- A DIRSI CV form (which should be filled out online). It must mention the applicant’s academic and professional achievements.
- The CV should mention two references with their contact details.
- A reference letter from a senior researcher in the region.
- A research project associated to DIRSI's current research agenda. The project will have a maximum of 600 words in length and should have the following items:
- Brief rationale
- Research problem
- Research questions
The application process will be organized in two stages:
1. The first selection will be based on the submitted research projects.
2. Selected applicants in the first phase will be asked to submit an academic research proposal developing the research project, with the following guidelines:
- Research proposals may be submitted in Spanish, Portuguese or English and should not exceed 10 pages single-spaced, Arial 12 point.
The proposal should contain:
- Title of the research proposal
3. The final selection will be based on the academic research proposals
Applications will be accepted only by electronic text file (MS Word or Open Office) at email@example.com
Interns will receive a stipend to cover minimal expenses.
Submission of the research idea
15 April 2011
Announcement of pre-selection
1 May 2011
Submission of the research proposals by the pre-selected applicants
15 May 2011
Announcement of winners
20 May 2011
Period of the internship
Between June 2011 and June 2012